big OOP

I like typescript for the much of the same reasons I like unit testing, it serves as executable documentation and applies a certain pressure during implementation that can result in better-designed code – and they’re both more likely to have that effect if they’re factors from the beginning; there are fairly steep up-front costs if you’re introducing them to an existing, undisciplined project

gaah i wish i was still working with ruby during my day job

i obviously can’t speak for everyone but i love your posts in this thread, your knowledge of this stuff is broad and deep and you have a really pleasant disposition!

1 Like

That makes sense! I think of unit testing in a dynamic language as accomplishing a lot of the same things as static typing from a certain angle; one argument I can think of in favor of dynamic typing is that it’s often nice to have unit tests even in a statically-typed codebase. In a language that has a really pleasantly-designed static type system, though, I do find as you say that it can encourage you to really think through the design issues carefully as you go in a way that can be nicely guided by the type system (I like that about both C++ and Haskell). It’s good to know that you’ve had experiences like that with TypeScript as well.

Yeah it’s really sad to me that it’s not as favored in the web dev world as it used to be! I know it’s still around in places and it seems like Rails has a resurgence in popularity every so often when enough people feel sick of the new status quo :stuck_out_tongue:, but still I don’t know if it will ever be like it was back in 2008 or whatever. I never felt like I heard reasons I thought were especially good from people to abandon Ruby in that space either which is kind of disheartening to me.

Aww thank you ^^ That’s reassuring—maybe I’m just worrying too much. I’ve very much enjoyed your posts in this thread as well, it’s really neat to hear your perspective!

1 Like